This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OreoCookieBalls #CollectiveBias
We’ve talked about how much I love giving edible gifts right? I mean there were the edible DIY wedding favors and then the muffin mix in a jar and then pretty much all the cookies. So it’s no wonder that I enjoy whipping up a batch of OREO cookie balls for pretty much every season, decorating them accordingly, and gifting them to whoever will stand still long enough for me to hand them a box.
These OREO cookie balls are so great because they come together so fast, are easy to decorate, and they don’t cost a lot. Just one recipe makes 48 little cookie balls! Which makes them great for a crowd or to divvy up among all the deserving people in your life. I especially love them for teacher and neighbor gifts! So swing by Walmart and grab everything you need all in one place then you can get to balling. Cookie balling that is 😉
And since I was feeling craft on this dreary, rainy day I decided to put together a fun gift box in lieu of store bought boxes. Just another way to save some moolah if you’re watching your budget. Or if you wanna randomly get your craft on. Whichever. These are great to make while the OREO cookie balls are chilling in the fridge. Even better? I have a free template just for you!
I was inspired by this post from The Little Blue Room. Seriously, scroll all the way down and check out how DARLING her little basket turned out. I made some changes so my box could be a square instead of rounded like a basket. I made it bigger so it could fit more truffles, too. But the general idea is the same!
Decorate the cookie balls however you like. I found it nerdily adorable to decorate them like reindeer and then put them inside Santa’s sleigh. I mean they need a break, too! You could decorate them like Santa with some red candy melts and black and yellow royal icing. Or like snowmen with some white chocolate and black, orange, and red royal icing. Or like penguins with white chocolate and black and orange royal icing. For even more OREO Cookie Ball decorating check these out!
What is your favorite edible gift to give or receive?
- 8 oz brick cream cheese softened
- 36 cups OREO Cookies finely crushed (about 3 )
- 4 4 oz packages semi-sweet baking chocolate melted
- Red chocolate candies optional for decorating
- Candy eyes optional for decorating
- pieces Pretzels broken into , optional for decorating
- Free gift box template 1 finished box fits 4 cookie balls
- Glue stick and/or clear tape
- Red or white tissue paper
- White ribbon
- Mix cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
- Shape into 48 (1-inch) balls and freeze for 10 minutes. Dip balls in melted chocolate.
- Place on a single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Pour warm, leftover chocolate immediately into a plastic bag and set aside.
- To decorate use leftover melted chocolate* to attach red chocolate candies and candy eyes to front of cookie ball. Carefully push pretzel pieces into top of cookie ball to form antlers and secure with melted chocolate if necessary.
- Store in the fridge before gifting.
- Measure and cut template to an 8.5 by 8.5 inch square.
- Fold sides up and cut along black lines.
- Bring each small rectangle together starting with the two on the top, then the two in the middle, then the two on the bottom and secure with glue. Bring triangle up and glue to the gathered strips, pressing firmly. You can use tape on the inside to make it more stable. Repeat on 2nd side.
- Line bottom of the box with tissue paper, gently lay cookie balls inside, and bring tissue paper up around cookie balls to keep them covered and secure. Tie tissue paper with ribbon.
*If chocolate isn't melted enough by the time your cookie balls are ready for decorating simply microwave it for 10-15 seconds until melted enough to squeeze out of the bag.