Salted caramel and milk chocolate come together perfectly in this creamy, decadent chocolate salted caramel tart!
Salted caramel is a thing. Remember the Nutella-frenzy from a few years ago? It’s just one of those in foods and, in my opinion, one I hope never goes away. I’ve put salted caramel on popcorn, in iced coffee, in dessert shooters, on spoons… And it works each and every time. It’s creamy and smooth and that rich flavor is exactly what I want when I’m thinking holiday dessert. Bonus that it’s always a hit at our framily parties!
When you’re not feeling like making caramel from scratch you mess with those individually wrapped caramel candies. They’re great but kind of a pain to unwrap and cut into squares before you even get to the wrist-breaking work of constantly stirring so nothing sticks or burns. So last year I was pretty jazzed to see bags of Caramel Bits on the shelves. You still have to stir constantly to prevent burning but they melt up a lot faster which is awesome. I always melt these guys in a sauce pan but I’m going to be trying their microwave method once we move.
I love to top this which a chocolate ganache. I’ve tried just tempered chocolate a few times and I personally like that better but I got out voted by the roommate and her coworkers on the ganache top. You can try it either way but be sure to come vote about which on you like better!
I love how simple this salted caramel tart is. And the fact that you can pull it together with less than 20 minutes of hands on time is definitely a plus while you’re running around decorating the house and getting the kids together. It’s fancy enough for a dinner party but simple enough to just toss together whenever you have those chocolate and salted caramel cravings. Just me? That’s cool, too. 😉
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 11 oz packages KRAFT Caramel Bits
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips
- 3 Tbs heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- For the crust combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar and mix until mixture resembles coarse sand. Press into the bottom of a 9 inch fluted quiche pan or spring form pan and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan melt KRAFT Caramel Bits and 1 Tbs heavy cream until smooth. Pour over crust, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp kosher salt, and let cool at room temperature for 10 minutes then allow to completely set in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Once the caramel layer has set combine remaining heavy cream with chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave safe bowl and stir constantly (or in 30 second increments) until smooth. Pour over caramel layer, top with remaining kosher salt, and allow to set in the refrigerator for another hour.
- Serve at room temperature.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweetenTheSeason #CollectiveBias