Football season is upon us! Check out these adorable and easy chocolate shortbread football cookies perfect for your next football party or tailgate!
Are you ready? For a Monday night party? Or in my college football lovin’ case, a Saturday afternoon party? I’ve seen pro games already on TV and my boys officialy kick off our season on September 12th against Notre Dame! Wahoowa! And because I love my best friend I will be getting ready for her wedding instead of being glued to the TV. You’re welcome Nicole.
Luckily I have these football cookies to keep my spirits up. Football shaped treats aren’t exactly a new thing but if it’s possible I’ve figured out a way to make football cookies even easier. I’m a slave to those adorable and mesmerizing cookie decorating videos as much as the next girl but I’m also comfortable enough with who I am as a person to acknowledge a very important fact about myself. I am lazy. Seriously. Y’all are lucky you got these beach ball cookies this summer and those couldn’t hold a candle to those crazy mermaid and bbq grill and flower cookies and what not and so forth.
So on days when I’d rather be leaving a permanent butt print on my couch and yelling at the TV I don’t want to spend a couple hours messing with royal and flood icing. So what’s the next best thing? A chocolate cookie of course. It’s already brown so I don’t have to figure out exactly how one makes brown frosting in the first place and I can choose to decorate them or not. I did go one step extra and make a small amount of royal icing to make the laces on the football but you can skip that step if you want.
These chocolate shortbread footballs would be a big hit at a tailgate or Super Bowl party and they’re so easy to make with very little hands on time. I love the chocolate flavor of these babies so much I used it as the base for these amazing ganache tartlets. Go ahead and check them out. I’ll wait. The shortbread is buttery and chocolaty and not too sweet so you don’t have to worry about sweet overload. The football shaped cookie cutter (aff) I used made these super easy to cut out but if you’re really savvy you could also cut around a template made from thick card stock, too!
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Beat butter until smooth and then slowly beat in the powdered sugar, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and mix until just combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. Before rolling allow dough to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Roll to ½" thickness and cut with football shaped cookie cutter or templates.
- Transfer to a lined or greased cookie sheet and gently use a fork to poke holes down the center of the cookie.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Mix a little powdered sugar and water together to form royal icing if desired for decoration. Allow to cool completely before decorating.