Dark chocolate is transformed into a creamy decadent ganache with a chocolate shortbread crust in these sinful dark chocolate ganache tartlets. You won’t be able to eat just one!
In just a few weeks my friend Nicole from Little Blog on the Homestead is gettin’ hitched! And since she’s all about the budget friendly wedding she’s naturally excited to save money wherever she can. Originally she’d ordered her wedding cupcakes from a local bakery but after the success of her amazeballs salted caramel frosting and my moist chocolate cupcakes we mutually decided that we would be totally psycho and make 3 different flavors of cupcakes for the wedding. 9 dozen in all.
So last week our poor friends were forced to taste test one of the wedding cupcake flavors. A chocolate cupcake with a chocolate ganache filling and cookies and cream buttercream. Horrible right? They voted it a unanimous success which makes me happy as a clam! Since we already know the salted caramel cupcakes are going to be a hit all I have left to do now is test the white chocolate raspberry cupcakes. You’ll be seeing both those cupcakes on the blog in short order. Not to worry 😉
But what’s a girl to do with leftover ganache? Whip it into a frosting and make more cupcakes? Or maybe use it in a dessert shooter? These key lime pie dessert shooters are gettin’ kinda lonely. Or dunk graham crackers into it? Or eat it off a spoon? I’ll be honest I’ve been walking past the fridge for the last few days doing that last one anyway. A spoon, my finger, whatever. I just couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do with it!
And then when I was making the dough for these adorable and crazy simple football cookies it hit me. Tartlets! I’m all about the mini desserts these days. What better base for a smooth, creamy, decadent ganache than a buttery chocolate shortbread? The shortbread isn’t too sweet which makes it the perfect base for the sweet ganache. Top with sea salt for a sweet and salty bite that will blow your mind!
For the Crust
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
For the Ganache Filling
- 6 oz dark chocolate baking bar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the Crust:
- Blend butter until smooth and then slowly blend in the powdered sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Sift in flour and cocoa powder and mix until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners* and press 2 Tbs of dough into the bottom and up the sides using a shot glass.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 12 minutes.
- While tarts are still hot use shot glass to press the warm dough down. Allow to cool completely before filling.
For the Ganache Filling:
- Roughly chop dark chocolate baking bar and add to a medium sized bowl.
- Heat heavy cream in the microwave for 1-2 minutes then pour over chocolate, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted.
- Let cool for 5 minutes until ganache is no longer hot to the touch. Pour into tartlet shells and allow to set for 30 minutes.
*This gives the tart a crimped edge and makes clean up easier but you can also just grease and push them into the muffin tin itself.