Soft sugar cookies are the perfect cookie for these sweet and tart lemon cheesecake sandwich cookies!
A few weeks ago I made a batch of my lemon curd and have been using it like crazy since then. It gave me a perfect reason to finally share my sour cream scones with you and fill these amazing raspberry glazed donut holes with tart lemon curd. I even used it to make another batch of my lemon blueberry coffee cake muffins when I realized we were out of lemons. On a side note I’m totally in love with how versatile homemade lemon curd is!
So versatile that with the 4oz I had leftover from the recipe I decided to combine the best of both worlds: creamy cream cheese with tart lemon curd. #winning I’m using poetic license here because it’s not a traditional cream cheese filling by any means. It’s literally cream cheese plus lemon curd plus whipped cream to make it light a fluffy. That’s it. And it’s perfect and delicious. You can even skip the cookie step and eat this like a mousse, in a pie shell, in a graham cracker crust, or straight out of the bowl with your finger. Whichever.
If you’re not a fan of lemon you could even sub the lemon curd with pudding in your favorite flavor instead. Pistachio, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, mint…the sky is the limit! Brownie points if you’re awesome enough to make your pudding from scratch. These were perfect for me between two soft sugar cookies, though.
For the Cookies:
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 eggs
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
For the Cookies:
- Cream together butter and sugar until paste forms. Add in egg, vanilla, and sour cream and beat until well mixed.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and add to the wet ingredients in two batches, mixing until just combined after each addition.
- Roll dough into a log about 1 1/2-2 inches in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Slice chilled dough in 1/2" slices and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
For the Filling:
- Beat cream cheese until smooth and no lumps remain, about 5 minutes.
- Add lemon curd and mix until combined.
- Fold in whipped cream with a rubber spatula.
- Spread about 2 Tbs of filling onto six cookies and top with remaining cookies.