Wrapped up in soft, light cinnamon roll dough peanut butter and jelly never tasted so good.
Peanut butter and jelly is my favorite combination. So when the monthly ingredient challenge rolled around this month and Emily from Table + Hearth chose peanut butter I knew I had to do something with jelly. I thought about a layer cake or my grandma’s favorite peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting (which might make an appearance on this here blog one day just because its soooo delicious). I mulled over a thumbprint version of my favorite peanut butter cookies and considered cupcakes. But none of it hit the spot.
I wanted something different. Thinking outside the box is one of my favorite parts about this challenge so I didn’t want to do a standard cupcake or cookie. I wanted more. Different. Delicious. And when my friend Nicole sent me a picture of these cinnamon rolls. I had a total light bulb moment. The cartoony kind where a light bulb appears over your head and suddenly turns on. Peanut butter and jelly in a cinnamon roll dough…only without the cinnamon. Was I a genius? I certainly thought so.
My family was a little less certain but I wanted to try it anyway. And oh boy. Fluffy, light, melt in your mouth cinnamon roll dough wrapped around layers of peanut butter and jelly and topped with a peanut butter frosting. Y’all. I’m being so real with you when I say I may never eat a regular PB&J sandwich again! I might diligently make these babies once a week and pack them in my lunch box and skip off to work happy as a clam because I get to feast on these babies every day.
Yeah. It does not get much better than that! Just be mindful when you’re loading this bad boy into your bread maker that you’re adding ALL the ingredients. ‘Cause the first time I made these I may or may not have totally forgotten to add yeast. And I may or may not have ended up with a small brick of dough that would neither rise nor bake all the way through. Just sayin’.
Are you a creamy or crunchy peanut butter lover?
- 1 ¼ cup warm water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbs butter sliced thin
- 1 Tbs active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup jelly or jam
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbs milk
- Add ingredients into your machine in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer and set to dough cycle.
- Once dough is finished, transfer to a bowl and let rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- After dough has doubled roll it into a 15x18 rectangle.
- Spoon first peanut butter then jelly onto dough and spread each out in an even layer leaving about ¼ inch around the edge.
- Carefully roll up dough and cut into 1½-2 inch rolls.
- Set in a prepared baking dish and let rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- Mix ingredients together until smooth. Use more or less milk for desired consistency. Top warm rolls with frosting.