Enjoy this simple honey vanilla granola with a splash of cold milk, layered in a parfait, or by the spoonful for a quick and crunchy breakfast treat.
The other night I was chatting with a friend about my love for cereal as a late night snack. There’s just something about the cold milk and the crunchy cereal that just does it for me. But when I went to the cabinet I realized in horror that we were out of cereal! Absolutely no cereal in the entire house. It was devastating. I might have cried a little bit.
So what’s a girl to do with a cereal craving and an empty pantry? Why, make granola of course! This crunchy granola is sweet but not overpowering and your wallet will love how much you’re saving making your own versus buying it from the store. And as an added bonus the whole thing is ready in just 15 minutes!
I used quick oats because that’s what I had in my pantry but I bet I could get an even crunchier texture using regular rolled oats. My favorite store bought granola is the kind with big, crunchy, tooth-breaking clusters. The honey and the vanilla and the brown sugar are the perfect combination of sweet and adding some dried cranberries for a bit of tart contrast gives this granola the perfect zing. Excuse me while I pop out and enjoy another bowl…
Enjoy with cold milk, layer with yogurt in a dangerously good parfait, or eat it by the handful. However you choose to enjoy this granola you will not be sorry you spent 15 minutes creating this deceitfully decadent treat.
What is your favorite late night snack?
- 1 3/4 cup quick oats
- 2 1/2 Tbs butter
- 2 1/2 Tbs honey
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup dried fruit optional
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. Add the honey and microwave an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in brown sugar and vanilla and mix until incorporated then add in oats and stir to evenly coat.
- Spread oat mixture in an even layer on a lined sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, stirring with a spatula after 6 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet and stir in your dried fruit if desired.