I’ve taken my favorite cream cheese frosting to the next level by adding chocolate! Chocolate cream cheese frosting tastes great on top of your favorite cake flavor or served with to fruit or graham crackers.
When I moved to Michigan my roommates tried really hard to include me in their circle of friends. This method of finding friends generally works out one of two ways. Either you like the existing friends or you don’t. Luckily I love their friends and, after our weekend away for the 4th of July, I think they like me, too! Huzzah! Plus, you kind of know you’re in when they start following your blog and ask you to make baked goods.
So this month at our monthly group dinner we’re celebrating two birthdays! Originally I was going to make my lemon cupcakes but after doing some recon over the holiday weekend I found out that her favorite cake was chocolate. And her favorite icing was cream cheese. Now I’ve got my grandma’s favorite cream cheese frosting recipe so I wasn’t worried but I thought that straight cream cheese frosting might taste a little out of place on top of a chocolate cupcake. Naturally I did what any smart, red-blooded chocoholic would do. I added chocolate to it.
And it was so good I had to frost these cupcakes like lightning before I licked it all off the spatula! If you’re reading this, birthday girl, don’t worry. Only clean appliances were used in the making of these cupcakes. I used this white cake recipe from Mary at Goodie Godmother for my cake base and added some cocoa powder. I’m just transforming things into chocolate all over the place up in here!
It turned out absolutely perfect. Chocolate but not too chocolate-y, which is just how I like my chocolate cake. If you don’t want to fiddle around turning a white or vanilla cake into chocolate then definitely check out Mary’s perfect chocolate cake recipe! It would definitely be the perfect vessel for this chocolate cream cheese frosting. Oh.My.Goodness.Gracious. Seriously. You know that when you can’t stop eating it out of the bowl you did something right!
- 12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Add softened cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- In a microwave proof bowl melt chocolate chips on 50% for 1-2 minutes, stirring after 30 seconds until melted completely and set aside to cool.
- Once all the powdered sugar is incorporated add cooled melted chocolate and whip until completely combined.
- Frost your cake or cupcakes as desired and store any extra frosting in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.